Services: Economic Development Organizations, High Tech Development, Manufacturing Development
Contact: Rolf Weberg, Director
Address: 5013 Miller Trunk Hwy , Duluth, MN 55811
University of Minnesota Duluth established the Natural Resources Research Institute (NRRI) in 1983 to support the economic growth of Minnesota's natural resources-based industries with a mission to deliver research solutions to balance our economy, resources and environment for resilient communities.
NRRI's strategic innovation focus:
1) Reduce waste by producing higher yields, reducing and avoiding costs and repurposing materials.
2) Broaden the portfolio of opportunities, create higher value and retain value in the state.
3) Lead and demonstrate resource stewardship as a competitive advantage.
NRRI has six interconnected research initiatives:
- Renewable Energy
- Minerals, Metallurgy & Mining
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Wood Products & Bioeconomy
- Forestry & Land
NRRI services include technical R&D support for large industries to small businesses; developing tools and gathering data to inform natural resources decision-making; rapid prototyping for new product development, water and mineral analyses and more.
Natural Resources Research Institute serves the state of Minnesota and the region with research that is globally relevant.