The Arrowhead Region of Minnesota consists of seven counties in the northeastern part of the state. The region stretches across the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Voyageurs National Park in the north to the western edge of Lake Superior in the south, and extends westward into counties in the heart of Minnesota’s Northwoods.
Major industries include aviation and aerospace, mining, back office, wood and paper products, shipping/transportation, health care, metal fabrication, utilities, and hospitality and tourism. The region offers convenient access to air through three commercial airports, four Class I railways, and highway transportation. The region offers border to border and global shipment of goods with an inland seaport. There are three points of entry. The region also features excellent K-12 education and 13 higher education campuses, flourishing medical campuses, and countless recreational opportunities.
The top ten communities by population include:
- Duluth, St. Louis County – 86,697
- Quad Cities, St. Louis County – 16,479 Eveleth (3,493), Gilbert (1,687), Mountain Iron (2,878), and Virginia (8,421)
- Hibbing, St. Louis County – 16,214
- Cloquet, Carlton County – 12,568
- Grand Rapids, Itasca County – 11,126
- Hermantown, St. Louis County – 10,221
- International Falls, Koochiching County – 5,802
- Chisholm, St. Louis County – 4,775
- Rice Lake, St. Louis County – 4,112
- Two Harbors, Lake County – 3,529
- Ely, St. Louis County – 3,268